Saturday, October 13, 2012

Katrina's Aftermath

For several years the SfN Meeting was held between venues in DC, Florida, St Louis, Los Angeles/San Diego, and New Orleans.   In 197, 2000 and again in 2003 the meeting was to be held in New Orleans.  Katrina changed that. The views you see here describe the path of the hurricane, a view of the populace that sought refuge at the Convention Center and  view from the air of the flooding around the Super-dome which is within a mile of the convention center. 

The 2006 and 2009 meetings were scheduled to return to NO, but the 2005 hurricane caused the society to cancel those plans.The 2012 meeting is the first time that the meeting returns to New Orleans.  It seemed ironic that just a few month ago, NO was under threat of another disaster from hurricane Isaac.

My first impressions upon returning....

Keep in mind that my impressions thus far are limited only to the things I've been able to observe from my arrival yesterday afternoon until this morning.   From what I've seen and done thus far, things seem much the same.  There is a great deal of construction/re-construction that appears to still be going on.  The people I've met so far seem extremely friendly and are very glad that there are visitors form out of town.  The local news last night featured a story on people who were still displaced from their homes by Isaac - an hurricane season is not over.  But for this week, the forecast is for sunny days and mild nights.  I'll add more to this post throughout my visit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment